Directory of Places of Interest in the Borderlands
Scottish Western Marches:
- Bothwell Castle - (Ruins) South Lanarkshire, associated with the Douglas Clan.
- Buittle Tower House – (Lived In/Active re-enactments) 4 miles south of the town of Dalbeattie in Dumfries Galloway is associated with the Douglas Clan.
- Caerlaverock Castle – (Ruins) about 9 miles southeast of Dumfries, Caerlaverock Castle is an impressive landmark in the Nithsdale countryside, standing guard over the Solway Firth. It is a unique late 13th century stone enclosure fortress, surrounded by double ditches. The castle is shaped like a triangular shield, with a strong double tower at one corner where the drawbridge was located. The castle is under the care of Historic Scotland and is open to the public. is associated with the Maxwell Clan.
- Cragside House – The revolutionary home of Lord Armstrong, Victorian inventor and landscape genius, was a wonder of its age. Built on a rocky crag high above the Debdon Burn, Cragside is crammed with ingenious gadgets and was the first house in the world to be lit by hydroelectricity. Surrounding the house on all sides is one of the largest rock gardens in Europe. Across the iron bridge, in the formal garden, is the Orchard House, which still produces fresh fruit. The lakeside walks, adventure play area and labyrinth are all good reasons for children to visit Cragside.
- Davington Library/ Weather Observatory – (very few remains) aprox 3miles north of Eskdalemuir mountain peak along B709 was the home of the Beattie Clan known as Mungos or Beloved.
- Douglas Castle - (now only minimal ruins remain) in South Lanarkshire, associated with the Douglas Clan.
- Drumlanrig Castle – (Lived-in) just west off the A76, Thornhill in Dumfries & Galloway is associated with the Douglas Clan.
- Elsieshields Tower - about two miles north of Lochmaben, associated with the Johnstone Clan
- Fourmerklands Pele Tower – (Live-able but abandoned) Near Drumlanrig Maxwell Clan.
- Girdle Stanes/Stones – (Standing stone circle) aprox 1 mile south of the Eskdalemuir Mountain peak off the B709 just north of Allangillfoot associated with Elliot, Little, Armstrong, Beattie Clans.
- Gilnockie Tower – (Renovated from Ruins) along the River Esk, in the hamlet of Hollows 2.3 km north of Canonbie in Dumfries & Galloway, associated with the Armstrong Clan.
- Handfasting Traditional Location – (overgrown) C class road at the junction of the White and Black Esk Rivers just north of Bailiehill and north-west of Langholm, associated with All Liddesdale Clans.
- Lochhouse Tower – within a mile of Beattock Station, associated with the Johnstone Clan
- Lochwood Castle or Tower – is a ruin to the south of the town Moffat, associated with the Johnstone Clan
- Lochmaben Castle – (Ruins) west of Lockerbie in Dumfries is associated with the Carruthers Clan & Douglas Clan.
- Loupin Stanes/ Stones – (Standing stones circle) just north of the Girdle Stones Circle off B709 in the Eskdalemuir Valley north of Langholm, associated with the Beattie, Elliot, Little, Armstrong Clans.
- Mangerton Tower – (minimal ruins remain) mid-13th century, along the River Liddel, just south of the village of Newcastleton, is associated with the Armstrong Clan.
- Midknock Farm – (Residence) on Westerkirk Street, Langholm was the home of the Moffat Clan for 600 years.
- Moffat Well – Discovered in 1663 this is a sulphurous and saline well was believed to have healing properties, specifically curative for skin conditions, gout, rheumatism, and stomach complaints, associated with the Moffat Clan.
- Morton Castle – (Ruins) dated to the 12th century just 2.5 ml northeast of Thornhill in the village of Nithsdale, Dumfries and Galloway, associated with Douglas Clan & briefly the Maxwell Clan.
- Orchardton Tower – 4 miles south of Dalbeattie, near the town of Castle Douglas in associated with the Cairns Family & Douglas Clan.
- Over Rigg – (Ancient Land Mark) aprox. 1.5 miles north of Westerkirk on the west-side of the White Esk River, associated with the Elliot, Little, Armstrong and Beattie Clans.
- Raehills House - 10 miles to the north of Lockerbie on Kinnel Water is associated with the Johnstone Clan
- Scots Dyke – (Linear Earthen-work dated to 1552) is three and a half mile / 5.25 km long to marks the division of the debatable lands and thereby settle the exact boundary between the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England is not associated with any one Clan.
- Sweetheart Abbey - or the Abbey of Dulce Cor – a Cistercian Monastery dated 1275 in the town of New Abbey in Dumfries Has the Genealogist Grave marker of the Jardine Clan and Douglas Clan had been benefactors.
- Threave Castle – (Ruins) west of the town of Castle Douglas in Kirkcudbright, Dumfries & Galloway is associated with the Douglas Clan.
- Wat Carrick Homestead – (Original Sight is Ruins/ Newer part is a Residence) one mile south of the Eskdalemuir mountain peak west-side of the White Esk River off B709, associated with the Beattie Clan.
- Wat Carrick Cemetery or Bankhead Chapel – (Ancient Cemetery within the ancient walls of an Anglo-Saxon Church foundation) a few yards from the Wat Carrick homestead between the road and the White Esk River across from the Girdle Stane Circle, many graves of Elliots, Little’s, Armstrongs and Beattie Clans.
- Westerhall - in Dumfries, was originally a Douglas tower called Dalduran is associated with the Johnstone Clan
Scottish Middle Marches:
- Battlefield of Ancrum Moor – dated to 1545, north of the town of Ancrum east side of the A68, in Roxburghshire associated with the Douglas, Beattie, Maxwell.
- Hermitage Castle – (Semi- Restored Ruin dated to 13th century) Located in Roxburghshire, the castle has a reputation, both from its history and its appearance, as one of the most sinister and atmospheric in Scotland, associated with the Douglas Clan & Elliot Clans.
- Lilliard’s Stone or the Maiden’s Tomb – (Ancient Landmark) commemorating the Battle of Ancrum, located in Lilliardsedge accessible by footpath along Dere Street/ Roam Road (as part of Cuthbert’s Way)
Scottish Eastern Marches:
- Abbotsford – (Museum) Melrose, Roxburghshire is the house built and lived in by Sir Walter Scott, the 19th century novelist. Visitors are able to view Sir Walter Scott's immense collection of historic relics, weapons and armour, and over 9,000 rare books. Also visit the Private Chapel, beautiful grounds and gardens.
- Aikwood Tower House – (Accommodations) Selkirk, take the A708 out of the town centre. Follow the road down a slight hill. The B7009 and Aikwood Tower are signposted left. Keep on the B7009 for about four miles and Aikwood is on your left. Aikwood is associated with the Scott Clan of Harden.
- Blackcastle Rings – (Ancient Land Mark Earthen Works/Fort) Located in the Parish of Greenlaw, above the left bank of the Blackadder Water, Mid-Berwickshire, was a Reiver perch for looking out over the Blackadder Water and Fangrist Burn. No specified clan association.
- Bowhill House – (Residence) near the Ettrick Forest in Selkirk, Selkirkshire associated with the Douglas Clan. Bowhill is the current home of the Duke and Duchess of Bucccleuch. Internationally renowned art collection, Victorian kitchen, adventure playground. Paintings by masters such as Canaletto, Raeburn, Reynolds and Gainsborough line the walls of Bowhill’s many fine rooms, while additional richness is provided by classic tapestries, French furniture, china and porcelain by Sevres and Meissen, along with a fine collection of silverware. Bowhill is open daily in July and August each year.
- Caerlanrig/Carlenrig Chapel – (Land Mark) in hamlet of Cavers in Roxburghshire, hanged in the kirkyard were 36 Armstrong Clan members.
- Cessford Castle – (Ruins dates to 1450) Located 11 miles southeast of Newton, in St. Bothwells, associated with the Kerr Clan.
- Floors Castle – Located in Kelso it is the largest inhabited castle in Scotland, home to the Duke and Duchess of Roxburgh and their family. Spectacular State rooms filled with priceless European paintings, tapestries and furnishings. Floors Castle was built in 1721 for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe. The 6th Duke invited leading Edinburgh architect William Playfair to create the fairytale castle you see today. Visitors can also enjoy the Woodland Walk, Star Plantation, Millennium Parterre, Walled Garden, Adventure Playground and Garden Centre. Coffee shop, licensed Restaurant and gift shop.
- Hume Castle - Berwickshire, ancient links with Douglas Clan & Hume Clan
- Newark Castle – (Ruined Tower House) on the grounds of Bowhill House in the valley of Yarrow in Selkirk, Selkirkshire, associated with the Douglas Clan.
- Roxburgh Castle – (Ancient Ruins) stand in the grounds of Floors Castle, the seat of the Duke of Roxburghe, across the river from Kelso, overlooks the junction of the rivers Tweed and Teviot, was associated with Douglas Clan as having taken it down.
- Timpendean Tower or Typenden Castle – (Ruins dating to 15th-century) near Lanton, around 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north-west of Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Douglas Clan.
English Western Marches:
- Bewcastle – isolated village just south of the border along Hadrians wall 6 miles south of Birdoswald, is associated with the Routledge Clan.
- Carlisle Castle – sits in Carlisle City centre near Tully “Reiver” Museum, Cursing Stone, associated with All the Reiver Clans as a central prison and execution location.
(Map courtesy of Howard Mathieson)
English Middle Marches:
- Blenkinsopp Castle/Tower House (a legend that it was connected to Thirlwell Castle by a tunnel) – approx. one mile south of Greenhead, westward from Haltwhistle, off the A69, associated with the Blankenship Family. **(resident ghost is the ‘White Lady’)
English Eastern Marches:
- Alnwick Castle – (Actively lived in and Hotel) associated with the Percy family
- Aydon Castle (also spot is named Jock's Leap) – located a half mile on the left from Corbridge from the north east, associated with the Claverings, Carrs, Blacketts and the Collinsons Families.
- Bamburgh Castle – (Museum) About 15 miles south of Berwick upon Tweed in Bamburgh, Northumberland. Standing on a rocky outcrop overlooking miles of beautiful sandy beach, Bamburgh Castle dominates the Northumbrian landscape. A magnificent castle completely restored in 1900, it houses collections of china, porcelain, furniture, painting’s, arms & armor, and is associated with the Armstrong Clan.
- Berwick Castle - (Ruins dating to the 12th century) is located in Berwick-upon- Tweed, Northumberland associated with the Douglas Clan.
- Bothal Castle - to the east of Morpeth (still researching this site)
- Chillingham Castle – (Open to the Public) within the village of Chillingham, *(famous ghost of the "blue or radiant boy") Associated with Royalty not Clans or Families of the Reivers.
- Chipchase Castle- (Lived in Manor) near Wark on Tyne, between Bellingham and Hexham, associated with the Heron Family.
- Cresswell Tower – (semi-ruins/repairs underway) within the village of Cresswell is associated with the Cresswell Family.
- Dally Castle – (Ruin/Rumble) from Bellingham go west on the Falstone road, situated a high site above the Chirdon Burn at the tributary of the North Tyne, associated with the Dodd and Charlton Families.
- Dilston Castle/Tower House – (Ruin) from Corbridge, south over river, B6529 Hexham road, then left onto A695 east and after a few hundred yards right onto B6307 , in the grounds of Dilston Hall, associated with the Radcliff Famliy.
- Homildon Hill/ Humbleton Hill – (Battlefield dated 1402) fought on the lower slopes of the remains of a Roman hillfort, associated with the Douglas, Dunbar, Hume, and Percy Clan.
- Lindesfarne/ Holy Island – (Partial Ruins/ Partial Museum) Located on the coast in Berwick-upon-Tweed this ancient Benedictine monastery is dramatically perched on a rocky crag and accessible via a three-mile causeway at low tide only, the island castle. Originally a Tudor fort, it was converted into a private house in 1903 by the young Edwin Lutyens. The small rooms are full of intimate decoration and design. The property also has several extremely well-preserved 19th-century lime kilns.
(We are still revising this list. We apologize for the inconvenience)