The Potts' of Scotland
A family of PoTT or PoTTS is found in the south of Scotland from quite an early period. In a work comprising three large volumes entitled, Registry of the Privy Council of Scotland, (printed in Edinburgh in 1877), in Volume I, (1545-1569), we find an early mention of a Potts in Scotland, in old Scotch language, a resident of the borough of Kelso in County Roxburgh, as follows, 1566. ‘Ane half mark of land occupiit be Thomas Pott.’ https://archive.org/stream/historicalcollec02pott/historicalcollec02pott_djvu.txt
"The Potts, the Grieves and the Craws, A'Bury in Borthwick Wa'as."
The name of Pott has been for long associated with the Borders. In 1521, it is recorded "that the Potts, Rutherfords, Dalgleishes, and Robsons, with their followers, made a raid into England with two slothunds, and carried off a number of sheep and about a hundred head of cattle.*' Among the early tombstones in the burial enclosure at Borthwick Walls is one to the memory of George Pott, who died on the 14th February, 1720, aged 69.
George left no sons that I ever heard of but he left two daughters, one of them married to [first name missing] Elliot in Teviotdale; this Elliot left likewise two daughters, what sons he left I know not. One of the daughters was married to George Pot in White Hill Brae, by her he had five sons, viz. Adam, George, James, John and Robert who became the principal farmers in the Head of Teviotdale in their time, all of them (excepting Robert who died unmarried) bought Estates. Adam bought the lands of Hoscoat and
Outerside in Borthwick, George purchased Todrigg in the Water of Ale, James purchased Dodd in Slitrigg, John purchased the lands of Rigg in Teviot and from them the Potts are spread abroad and are amongst the most opulent Countrymen in the upper part of Teviotdale at this day.
James Pott Esq. (1702 – 1765) Of Dod (sometimes, Dodd) and tenant in Langside and Penchrise, Cavers parish Roxburghshire. His landlord was Sir Gilbert Elliot of Stobs 3rd Baronet, who had acquired Penchrise in 1695, born c1702, died 8 July 1765 aged 63 years at Penchrise, buried at Borthwick Wa'as aforesaid, MI. Bought a small estate called Dod (Cavers parish, Roxburghshire) about 1730 - bought from Captain Vetch of 21st Fusileers, brother of Lord Bowhill, who had inherited from his wife (she was a Gladstanes), who had inherited from a distant relative
Adam Pott of Hoscote cir 1691 – 1770, married Beatrix Elliot, of Woollee farm now Cleuchhead, his has always been considered a good grazing farm and within the last 50 years, a large portion has been converted into argricultural land.The old house of Woollee was situated not far from the site of the present mansion -house and the old vaulted house of Woollee, where Magdaline Nicolson, resided after the death of her husband Sir Gilbert Elliot of Stobs, unil 1708 when it required repairs. About 1715 Adam Pott was tenant of the farm and in 1730 when William Elliot purchased the estate Adam Pott had removed to Shankend. The old farmhouse of Woollee was a small building and in 1824 was pulled down and material was used to build Woollee house. Thomas Shortreed farmed it for many years and also Hyndlee. He was one of the many farmers who became bankrupt afte the American War.
The Hoscote property was at one time owned by the Home family, but was sold by George Lord Home in 1535 to the Scotts of Harden, and by them in about 1723 to Adam Pott.
John Pott in Newtoun and Carlenrig, married Mary Scot. John purchased the lands of Rigg in Teviot, Sasine for Carlanrickridge (Cavers parish, Roxburghshire) granted to John Pott and to his eldest son George Pott, by Sir Gilbert Eliot of Stobs 3rd Baronet and Chief of the Clan on 8 November.; 1743 [SRO Ref: RS82/4 1741-52].
George Pott esq. of Todrig cir 1720 - 1781married Elisabeth Scot of Galalaw, Tenant in Whitehillbrae and of Todridge (spelling as his MI at Borthwick Wa'as aforesaid; otherwise, Todrig).
GEORGE POTT, Esq., of Todrig, Convener of the County of Selkirk, Borthwickshiels. The Carlisle Patriot, Saturday, November 20, 1858, Carlisle, Langholm & Hawick Railway Particular Register of Sasines Minute Book (Roxburgh, Selkirk and Peebles) Sasine George Pott Esqr of Carlenrickrigg, inliferent,of parts of the Barony ofHallrule, viz. the landsof Over Halrule, with teinds,and vicarage thereof, Parish of Hobkirk,Roxburghshire,on a charter under the Great Sealdated 20 December 1779 in favour of Sir Francis Elliot of Stobs, and a disposition and assignation by him to the said George Pott, dated 4 January 1780; 7.1.1780 date of recording RS82/8 for 13 minute book reference 20.12.1779 date of deed. Sasine for Todrig (? Castle barony, Selkirkshire) granted 14 May, 1748 to George Pott and his father George Pott (previous owner Walter Scot); [SRO RS82/4]. Seised 22 June 1811 in the 3 merk land of Floors, Beanstown and Commistoun and Teinds, in the parish of Penpont Dumfriesshire
James Pott, married Anne Scott in Penchrise, 1737. They had 9 children, 5 boys and 4 girls.
Gideon Pott Esq. 2nd of Dod, 1747 – 1802, married in 1783, Elizabeth Baxter of Todrig and had 7 children, 4 boys and 3 girls; reference from “Tancred - Rulewater and It's People” pages 20 & 28
After Sir William's death in 1699 his son Sir George Elliot took his place. He began by adding to his estate the large farms of Lymecleugh and Penchrise after this manner. It is said that Sir William Elliot gave the farm of Penchrise at a reduced rent in consideration of a sum of money lent to him by Gideon Pott of Dod for the purpose of building Stobs Castle. On April 1799 Gideon Pott of Dod wrote his will and the executors were George and James. https://archive.org/stream/rutherfurdssouth1866kels/rutherfurdssouth1866kels_djvu.txt
There are no villages in the parish. Bedrule is merely a hamlet consisting of the parish church, school house, smithy, and a farm-house, with the attached cottages. Jedburgh, which is over 3 miles distant from the hamlet, is the nearest market, and the post town. Jedfoot is the nearest railway station for the east side of the parish, and Hassendean on the Hawick line is the nearest for the west side of the parish.
Population of the pariah in 1861, 222; who composed 41 families, 35 of whom were returned as living in houses of one and two windows;
Aasesaed property in 1864-5, £3732, 10s.
The principal landed-proprietors in the parish are '97 Sir William Francis A. Eliott of Stoba and Wells, Bart. ; Thomas Robson Scott, Esq. of Newton; Gideon Pott, Esq. of Knowesouth ; Thomas Cockburn, hsq., of Menalaws; and William Oliver Rutherfurd, Esq. of Edgerston.
Those marked thus ("') are Registered Voters in the parish.
Resident Justices of the Peace '97 Gideon Pott, Esq. of Kuowesouth ; Married his cousin
Second of Dod and tenant in Penchrise and Langside aforesaid. Born c1747, 2nd son. Bought the grazing farm of Riskenhope in Rodono barony. Loaned to the Orr family, and transferred this debt to William Scott on 27 February 1771 [SRO RD2/216 p.1219]. Loaned a considerable sum to his landlord Sir William Elliot of Stobs 6th Baronet, to rebuild his mansion house at Stobs c1790 - for this he received a much reduced rent and a long lease at Penchrise. Married aged 42 years, prosperous sheep farmer, died 5 May 1802 aged 55 years at Penchrise, buried at Borthwick Wa'as, Roberton aforesaid, MI. Will presented 15 November, 1820 at Peebles, SRO Ref. CC18/4/4/335 (6 pages) and CC18/4/6/299 (10 pages).
Their grandson Gideon Pott 4th of Dod and 2nd of Knowsouth 1824 – 1905 married Jean Lean Hunter.
About 1900: Gideon Pott, having for 35 years carried out the honorary duties of secretary to the Duke of Buccleuch's Hunt, was presented at the residence of Sir John Scott, 5th Baronet of Ancrum, in the presence of a gathering of distinguished gentlemen with a solid silver dinner service and a full length portrait of himself in hunting costume as an appreciation of his services.
(Charles Martin Hardie Scottish (1858 - 1916) Born in East Linton, East Lothian, Hardie entered the family business and worked as a carpenter. However, a family connection with the artist, John Pettie, encouraged him to study at the Trustees' Academy in Edinburgh. Hardie became known for his pictures of Scottish life which often have a strong narrative element. He produced portraits, landscapes and genre scenes as well as historical paintings in both oils and watercolour.) https://www.nationalgalleries.rg/art-and-artists/artists/charles-martin-hardie
Information provided by Karen Beale of Queensland, Australia, giving expressed permission to post here.